Dental Implants in Lake Charles, LA
Dental implants are a popular tooth replacement option because they resemble natural teeth in appearance and function. They are composed of three parts: the titanium implant post, the abutment, and the crown.
The implant post is surgically placed by our dentist at Fleur De Lis Dentistry into the jawbone in the space left by the missing tooth root. Once the implant site has healed, an abutment is attached to the implant post. A dental crown is then placed over the abutment to complete the restoration. Dental implants can be used to support a restoration that replaces a single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth.
Who Is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants may be an option for patients with missing teeth, broken or severely damaged teeth, or failing dentures. Implants are surgically placed in the jawbone and then a dental crown, bridge, or denture is attached to complete the restoration. Patients who are healthy enough to undergo oral surgery are likely candidates.
Before dental implant surgery, our dentist will comprehensively evaluate your teeth and gums to ensure that your oral health is adequate for the implant process. Patients should also be committed to excellent at-home oral care and regular dental visits after their implants are placed. In many cases, the restorations can last for a lifetime when patients adopt proper oral hygiene practices.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that also restores the root of the missing tooth. For this reason, they offer many benefits compared to other options, including:
- Because they are implanted into the bone, they stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss in the jaw.
- They provide support for a wide range of restorations including bridges or dentures.
- Implants hold the restoration in place without the need for messy adhesives.
- Implants prevent the surrounding teeth from shifting.
- Once the implant has healed and the restoration has been attached, patients don’t have to worry about their restoration falling out or moving.
- With regular checkups and good oral hygiene, they can last a lifetime.
A dental implant is a solid foundation for replacement teeth that look and function like natural teeth. To learn more about dental implants, visit Fleur De Lis Dentistry at 2020 Country Club Road Ste 130, Lake Charles, LA 70605, or call (337) 502-8855.